Neighbor to Neighbor and the Partnership for Age-Friendly Communities have developed a homesharing program involving a comprehensive process to help others find the best mutually beneficial housemate. Each arrangement is unique and based upon the needs, interests and lifestyles of the individuals involved. A person offers a private bedroom and shared common space in their home in exchange for rent, help around the home or a combination of the two.
HomeShare participants are either HomeProviders or HomeSeekers.
- HomeProviders are 55+ and living in their home with an available room or two
- HomeSeekers are any adult person looking for a new housing solution.
At times a senior HomeProvider may be looking for a companion to chat with and someone to lend a hand. In many arrangements, those offering a home do not require any assistance, but charge rent. Every homeshare is unique.
All applicants are interviewed by a N2N Housing Counselor after submitting a complete application and undergo a level 3 background check. This is not an immediate housing solution, it will take time get through the application and interview stages. Participants are given referrals to potential matches based on compatibility of preferences, however, the decision of who to live with is always made by the individual participants. When a HomeProvider and HomeSeeker agree to share a home, the N2N Housing Counselor helps them work out the terms of their living agreement and offers ongoing support.
There is no fee for this service.
- Extra income for HomeProvider by renting a bedroom
- Potential for help with household chores in exchange for lower rent
- Companionship for both HomeProviders and HomeSeekers ranging from friendliness to long lasting relationships
- Provides someone in your community with a unique, affordable housing solution
To Participate in the Program
All Applicants Must:
- Have no pending criminal charges or warrants, no active parole or probation and no convictions involving crimes against persons or property;
- No history of abuse of any kind;
- No substance or alcohol use disorder;
- Have three references who can recommend you for the program. Those seeking housing must provide a resident reference as well, such as a landlord, property manager or housemate;
- Those seeking housing must either live, work or attend school in Larimer County.
Even if you meet these eligibility guidelines, we cannot guarantee you housing. It is up to the participants in our program to ultimately decide who would be the most compatible match for them.
Requirements for your Home:
- Must be owned and occupied by the Home Provider
- Must be located within Larimer County;
- Have a private bedroom for seeker;
- Is safe and sanitary, complying with local housing standards.
We are looking for HomeSharers Who:
- Are Flexible
- Want to be Helpful
- Live well with others
- Have patience with the time commitment needed to find the right match