Neighbor to Neighbor and the Partnership for Age-Friendly Communities have developed a program to match homeowners 55 years or older with those looking for a home in Larimer County. Homesharing can be an option for older adults who want to remain in their home, but would like someone to share household chores and/or expenses. Homesharing also offers companionship and an affordable rental option for the HomeSeeker.
HomeShare participants are either HomeProviders or HomeSeekers. HomeProviders are 55+ and have a home to share. HomeSeekers are persons looking for a new housing solution. There may be an agreement between the two sharers of reduced rent in exchange for a service like cooking, cleaning, shopping or maintenance or simply an exchange of monthly rent.
All HomeProviders and HomeSeekers are interviewed by a N2N Housing Counselor and undergo a background check. Applicants are given referrals to potential matches based on compatibility of preferences. The decision to enter a living agreement is always made by the participants. When two applicants agree to become homesharers, the N2N Housing Counselor helps them work out the terms of their living agreement and offers ongoing support.
There is no fee for this service.
- Extra income for HomeProvider by renting a bedroom
- Mutually shared living expenses
- Well-being and independence for homeowners who are in good health, but may need help with minor chores benefit by remaining independent
- Companionship for both HomeProviders and HomeSeekers can range from friendliness to long conversations
To Participate in the Program
ALL APPLICANTS MUST:
- Have three references who can recommend you for the program. Those seeking housing must provide a resident reference as well;
- Have no pending criminal charges or warrants, no active parole and no convictions involving crimes against persons, including crimes of fraud;
- Those seeking housing must either live, work or attend school in Larimer County.
REQUIREMENTS FOR YOUR HOME:
- Must be located within Larimer County;
- Have a private bedroom;
- Is safe and sanitary, complying with local housing standards.
Contact Neighbor to Neighbor’s HomeShare Office
Call (970) 491-3233