If you or your small business are behind on your bill from Fort Collins Utilities due to COVID-19, you may be eligible for financial assistance through the CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security) Act.
Eligibility for Assistance
To be eligible for residential utility assistance, you must:
- Have an electric account with FC Utilities.
- Be a Utilities account holder or co-applicant.
- One application per account number.
- The account does not need to be active to apply.
- Have lawful presence in the United States.
- Have experienced economic hardship due to COVID-19, defined as adverse financial consequences as a result of you (the customer), your spouse, or a member of your household:
- Being quarantined, furloughed or laid off, or having work hours reduced due to COVID-19.
- Being unable to work due to lack of childcare due to COVID-19.
- Closing or reducing hours of a business that you own or operate due to COVID-19.
- Having pay or self-employment income reduced due to COVID-19.
- Having a job offer rescinded or start date for a job delayed due tto COVID-19.
- Experiencing other hardships due to COVID-19 as applicable.
The deadline for applications is Monday, December 7. Applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
What Utility Bills Can You Get Assistance With?
Past-due balances for utilities services, including electric, water, stormwater, and wastewater dated on or after April 20, 2020 for up to $600.
What Utility Bills Are NOT Eligible?
- Past-due balances for services billed prior to April 20
- Charges for current billing period
- Late fees, reconnection fees, or payment reversal fees
- Broadband expenses
- Any remaining balance over $600
What Other Options Do I Have?
If you need utility assistance but don’t qualify for this program, you can seek one-time bill payment assistance through the Payment Assistance Fund. Fort Collins Utilities has partnered with several partner agencies to distribute these funds:
- Catholic Charities Larimer County – 970-484-5010
- La Familia/The Family Center – 970-221-1615
- Discover Goodwill – 1-888-775-5327, ext. 7
To learn more about this program and other payment assistance options, visit the CARES Act Assistance page for Fort Collins Utilities.